Did you know Radix is gonna have its first fork soon?

I’m not sure how many people know about this, but Radix is gonna have its first mainnet fork soon! This has been discussed a lot by node runners but not by stakers I think.
You can find the details of the fork here: Planned Updates to Radix Network Fees and Emissions | The Radix Blog | Radix DLT

More technical informations here: Add mainnet candidate fork olympia-rpf-001 by dhedey · Pull Request #702 · radixdlt/radixdlt · GitHub

The main TL:DR is that XRD emissions per proposal will change from 2.3077 XRD to 1.797 XRD and the fee will be reduced (the same transaction should cost about 65% what it does now). The XRD emissions were reduced to reflect a 300M XRD per year emission: as of now it’s higher because epochs are going faster than predicted.

This means the APY will drop, we should see a 22% decrease from the current APY.

The fork will be activated when 85% of the total delegated stake has voted for the fork (node runners have to vote for this fork, so nodes that control more stake have more voting power).

You can check the fork progress here: Radix Protocol Fork 001 - Validator Readiness Spreadsheet - Google Sheets

Were you aware of this? Has your validator already voted? What do you think?

5 Likes

Excuse my lack of knowledge of running a node, I suspect this is in anticipation of babylon, is this correct? A decrease in APY suggests better performance?

1 Like

No, this is not related to Babylon or to better performance. It’s simply because epochs have been lasting less usually (31 minutes instead of 40 minutes) and thus annual emissions for staking were more than the decided 300M XRD. To reduce emissions to 300M XRD they had to reduce XRD emissions per proposals.

2 Likes

What might be reason for the epochs running faster?

1 Like

When validators miss proposals the speed of the network slows down. The original fee table is based on the speed of the network in betanet.

Today both the node-software and validators have improved a lot resulting in less missed proposals and a faster / more stable network :slight_smile:

3 Likes