#ScryptoClassof2022 Week 5 Chapter 4

Welcome to week 5 of #ScryptoClassof2022 where we will be covering chapter 4! This chapter is a another deep chapter covering a topic that is not exactly common across other programming languages: ownership. We are also covering references and slices.

Omar was out of town this weekend so the Live Q&A was cancelled, but we should be good to go for next Sunday at 12 PM UTC. Please bring all remaining questions from both chapters 3 and 4.

Study Group Schedule

June 12th - June 18th - Chapter 1

June 19th Time TBD - Live Q&A on chapter 1 content

June 19th - June 25th - Chapter 2

June 26th Time 12pm UTC - Live Q&A on chapter 1 - chapter 2 content

June 26th - July 2nd - Chapter 3

July 3rd Time 12pm UTC - Live Q&A on chapter 1 - chapter 3 content

July 3rd - July 9th – Chapters 3 & 4

July 10th Time 12pm UTC - Live Q&A on Chapter 3, 4 content (cancelled)

July 10th - July 16th - Chapter 4

July 17th Time 12pm UTC - Live Q&A on chapter 1 - chapter 4 content

July 17th - July 23rd - Chapter 5

July 24th Time 12pm UTC - Live Q&A on chapter 1 - chapter 5 content

July 24th - July 30th - Chapter 6

July 31st Time 12pm UTC - Live Q&A on chapter 1 - chapter 6 content

July 31st - August 6th - Chapter 7

August 7th Time 12pm UTC - Live Q&A on chapter 1 - chapter 7 content

August 7th - August 14th - Chapter 8

August 7th Time 12pm UTC - Live Q&A on chapter 1 - chapter 8 content

Thanks to the projects wanting to sponsor our Journey:

Delphibets.com

Scryptochaps.com
Cerberrads.com
Radixdltstaking.com
Spikebrosnft.com
Nattyraddishes.com

Congrats to the winners this week for participating and contributing in #ScryptoClassof2022. If you didn’t win anything this week, there are plenty more opportunities to come!

@user2432615184#0515
@Shoes_Mcgee#2968
@Radixer#2908
@Aleksanton#8435
@Haseeb.xrd#0556
@NellySayon#0505
@Marc the Sharc#5308
@erroll gnargnar#2915
@Tyradixsaurus rex#8560

Make sure to DM me your wallet addresses if I don’t already have them! Thank you all!

Do you want to post your code in Discord like this^^? To do this, post your code using three backticks (to the left of the 1 key) followed by the word “rust”. You will also end the code with another 3 backticks. Example:

My Major recommendations this week:

1. Watch the Let’s Get Rusty video on ownership. I have been watching these videos on even content a bit ahead of where we are in the book and they are great! Its helping me understand material we have already covered just by knowing the basics of a few extra concepts.
    Understanding Ownership in Rust - YouTube
  2. Complete the Rustlings challenges for this week’s material. If you haven’t started them, I would just work through them all until you catch up to current material. They do not take too long to solve, but if you get stuck just ask in our channel for a bit of help!
    GitHub - rust-lang/rustlings: Small exercises to get you used to reading and writing Rust code! - These are exercises that do not compile. You will need to figure out where the problem is in each piece of code to make it compile to move onto the next exercise. Follow the instructions on this page to get started. I did the manual import by cloning the repository and doing the force install. When using this program – don’t be like me and try to run each piece of code in the .rs file like you normally would. Navigate to the rustlings main directory and use this command:
    rustlings watch
    This will cycle the programs in order from start to finish. You can also use the hint command if you get stuck along the way.
    Here a summary of each exercise and which chapters they cover. There is also a README in each file showing which chapter to study if you need help.

Here is my brief summary of chapter 4 that I put together while reading the chapter.

Thanks for reading! I am here to help if anyone needs additional assistance. Lets all get through this together so we can all make our own Scrypto blueprints soon!

4 Likes