Guide for installing Rust & Scrypto on Windows

Installing Rust and Scrypto on Windows

First, we need to install Rust. Install Rust - Rust Programming Language

Hit 1 then enter to install

Install VS Code here Documentation for Visual Studio Code

Install the rust-analyzer extension rust-analyzer - Visual Studio Marketplace

Install “Desktop development with C++” with Build Tools for Visual Studio 2019 Thank you for downloading Visual Studio - Visual Studio

Install LLVM 13.0.1 (make sure you tick the option that adds LLVM to the system PATH)

Install git if you don’t already have it.

https://git-scm.com/book/en/v2/Getting-Started-Installing-Git

I use the terminal in VS Code and had to completely restart VS Code after installations to make the various commands work like cargo --version, rustc --version, scrypto --version.

Add WebAssembly target with the command rustup target add wasm32-unknown-unknown in terminal.
Install the simulator itself. Commands:

git clone https://github.com/radixdlt/radixdlt-scrypto.git
cd radixdlt-scrypto
cargo install --path ./simulator

See it in the official installation guide as well.

After that, you will get a valid result for scrypto --version.

Useful extensions to add: Better TOML will color code your .toml files

6 Likes

@Austin , recently i wanted to learn scrypto using everything in that list but i made sure to install them all but i have a problem. How do I start creating the terminal properly?
I get different message when writing scrpto on terminal vs code?

and he’s different, am I missing a step here?
and how do i start installing scrypto correctly.
This is the first time using VScode before I only used python to open scrypto and also had a lot of problems.

Maybe you have an idea to help me
Thank you

I followed through the process, and one step is missing from the tutorial in my opinion. @Austin

You also have to:

• Add WebAssembly target with the command rustup target add wasm32-unknown-unknown in terminal.
  • Install the simulator itself. Commands:
    git clone https://github.com/radixdlt/radixdlt-scrypto.git
    cd radixdlt-scrypto
    cargo install --path ./simulator

See it in the official installation guide as well.

After that, you will get a valid result for scrypto --version.

2 Likes

To check if you have scrypto installed properly you would need to enter “scrypto --version” If it prints out a version that means you have it installed at least. I am having a tough time figuring out exactly what else you are asking. You should come join us in the Radix discord channel, scroll down to the dev section and join the Scrypto-class-of-2022 channel where there will be more people around to help you out! Radix DLT

Also you should look at this link for other help and guides for getting started on your Journey

Oh gosh, you are right thank you! I will update this tonight!

1 Like

@TamasH @Austin Thanks, I’ll try again tonight. I hope I won’t forget, the other stages.
And I will join the discussion group to learn more.
I’m very enthusiastic and curious to immediately simulate it
Cheers

1 Like