#ScryptoClassof2022 Week 3, Chapter 3 on Rust & Scrypto

Welcome to week 3 of our Rust and Scrypto study group! Week 2 went very well with so many in the group creating the guessing_game program. Ive seen many questions being asked on content beyond chapter 2 which is great! It goes to show the excitement we have in this group for learning Rust and being able to write Scrypto code soon!

Icymi, Week 1 and week 2 links can be found below. We welcome anyone wanting to try to catch up the first few weeks and join us!

Study Group Schedule

June 12th - June 18th - Chapter 1

June 19th Time TBD - Live Q&A on chapter 1 content

June 19th - June 25th - Chapter 2

June 26th Time 12pm UTC - Live Q&A on chapter 1 - chapter 2 content

June 26th - July 2nd - Chapter 3

July 3rd Time 12pm UTC - Live Q&A on chapter 1 - chapter 3 content

July 3rd - July 9th - Chapter 4

July 10th Time 12pm UTC - Live Q&A on chapter 1 - chapter 4 content

July 10th - July 16th - Chapter 5

July 17th Time 12pm UTC - Live Q&A on chapter 1 - chapter 5 content

July 17th - July 23rd - Chapter 6

July 24th Time 12pm UTC - Live Q&A on chapter 1 - chapter 6 content

July 24th - July 30th - Chapter 7

July 31st Time 12pm UTC - Live Q&A on chapter 1 - chapter 7 content

July 31st - August 6th - Chapter 8

August 7th Time 12pm UTC - Live Q&A on chapter 1 - chapter 8 content

Thanks to great projects like
Radup.io
Delphibets.com
Ociswap.com
scryptochaps.com
Cerberrads.com
radixdltstaking.com
and new for this week, https://spikebrosnft.com/!

These teams are providing tokens and NFTs for study group participants in order to help build the future generation of scryptonaughts! Please support them and check out what each team is building and has to offer.

Week 2 winners are @user2432615184#0515 @Quwin#6226 @NellySayon#0505 @erroll gnargnar#2915 @Arc#7276 @Mala#4140 @KaguraNanami#6583 @Ocularmagic#0134 on discord. Please DM me your Radix wallet address if I don’t already have it and prizes will be sent soon!

It is time to start Chapter 3 and learn about variables, mutability, data types, functions, comments, if expressions, and different types of loops. This is where we start picking up the pace because there is a LOT of content in this and next chapter that is important to understand for both Rust and Scrypto.

Let’s Get Rusty video on chapter 3 content!

I have condensed what I feel are the most important concepts I want to remember from Chapter 3 into two pages. By no means is this any sort of substitute for reading (and probably rereading haha) the chapters from the book (The Rust Programming Language - The Rust Programming Language), but sometimes seeing the things I am trying to learn in a more visual order helps me.

The chapter ends with 3 challenges for code to build to solve specific problems. I encourage everyone to take a dive and try to build at least 1 or 2 of these to put your knowledge to the test!

• Convert temperatures between Fahrenheit and Celsius.
• Generate the nth Fibonacci number.
• Print the lyrics to the Christmas carol “The Twelve Days of Christmas,” taking advantage of the repetition in the song.

Thank you all for reading and following along. Make sure to keep posting your questions you come across in the Scrypto-Class-of-2022 group in discord so we can all learn from solving them together.

In case you are looking for more supplemental reading:

I saw some students using this link for a bit of extra practice and guidance on the chapters we are covering. Check it out!

This is an extra guide I found on github that can surely provide a little extra support and guidance covering the same materials
https://learning-rust.github.io/docs/a8.primitive_data_types.html

Interesting article found by erroll. I seem to think I must still be in phase 1 as I am still having a blast learning Rust and I don’t feel super overwhelmed yet haha.
https://www.thinkful.com/blog/why-learning-to-code-is-so-damn-hard/

9 Likes